Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Rollin' Along The Parkway

Hey Campers!  SplashT@B here with another Story for you today......thanks for dropping back by.

Before I get started, I want to send out a special hello to my new friend Tootsie the T@B way over in Scotland.  How cool is that to have a friend so far away......kinda like having a pen pal!

One of the coolest things about riding along on the Blue Ridge Parkway is seeing all the incredible sights.  Unlike Momma Sharon who has to keep her eyes on the road, I get to look around as we roll along.  I gotta tell you, some of the most gorgeous scenery is here in my North Carolina mountains.  Check it out.....


This is Alta Vista Orchards.  In the fall, you can go to an apple festival here, sample different varieties of North Carolina apples, and listen to bluegrass music.  It's a lot of fun!

Pod and I stopped at the Linville Falls Visitor Center just up the road from the apple orchards so our folks could get out and stretch their legs.  A long, long time ago, the Linville River cut a huge gorge through the earth and now visitors can hike the trails to see the Upper, Middle, and Lower falls.  Momma Sharon and Uncle Rob love to take pictures of signs...I'm not sure why, but they do.  They snapped this photo on their walk to the Upper Falls.



Grandfather Mountain is a big tourist attraction in these parts and I just love this Southern view.  There's a mile-high swinging bridge and a zoo and a museum.  It's a great place to take kids for the day.  Take a look at those clouds and Carolina-blue sky.....pretty, huh?


After leaving the overlook, we traveled over the Linn Cove Viaduct.  This section of the Parkway was the last to be finished because it had to be built around Groundfather Mountain without disturbing any of the landscape.  I love it because it looks like I'm traveling on a highway that just floats in the air!


My stomach was kinda growling, so I knew it was time for Momma Sharon to find the perfect picnic spot.  We stopped at Julian Price Park for a lunch break in the shade.  Once again, I had to give a T@B Tour!  Why do so many people want to see inside me and ask questions about me?  I guess I'm so stinkin' cute.....that's why!!


We spent the next couple of hours just moseying along the Parkway until we reached our destination for Tuesday night.....the New River State Park.  My buddy Pod was in site 9 and I was right beside her in number 10.  It was pretty hot sitting out in the sun, but we cooled off quickly around suppertime.



Speaking of suppertime.....have I told you what a great camping chef that Uncle Rob is?  OMG, that man has a way with a Coleman...LOL!  In addition to grilled salmon, he made his famous blooming onions with fajita seasoning.  Let me tell you, our folks ate like kings and queens!


So that's it for Story-time today.  Thanks again for coming by and  I'll see ya tomorrow!

"Peace, Love & Camping"

No comments:

Post a Comment